Barbell, Motorbike and Auto

 An Afternoon Excursion for Tony

 In a previous blog I mentioned doing weight training with Srinivaas the PE teacher. The only weights that the School had were two 5kg dumbbells, not really enough to do a lot with. So I thought it would be a good thing for me to buy some more equipment and leave it here when we head off. I had a look online and there were some reasonably priced sets that could be delivered. I ran it by the Principal, Mr Daniel, who thought it was a good idea but suggested I talk to the PE teacher before purchasing the gear.

 

In discussion with Srinivaas, he suggested we would get a better deal buying it locally. Fair enough I thought, support the local business. He said we could go on his motorbike after school and buy the gear. I wasn’t all that enthusiastic about a bike ride (it’s about four decades since I have been on a motorbike) but it was only going to be a short one, I thought.

 

We jump on the bike, no helmet for me, and take off into the traffic. Now Indian traffic has zero road rules.

 

A GLIMPSE OF INDIAN ROAD RULES 
 

Go on the wrong side of the road when there’s an opening, give way to no-one, push your way through an intersection, avoid cows, swerve around trucks coming head-on on the wrong side of the road, swerve around potholes, watch for cars overtaking with about six inches to spare, all done at as fast a speed as possible…and with the constant sound of tooting horns!!! Still, it’s only a short trip, I can do this. 😜

 

However, I didn’t realise that ‘local’ meant four towns away. 45 minutes later we arrive and the nightmare ends!! The only damage was some frazzled nerves and a sunburnt head!

 

It was a typical Indian shop, about the size of a single garage and crammed full of all sorts of sporting equipment. The weight gear was of reasonable quality and a great price, but I started thinking this guy is not going to have a delivery service. Anyway, we box up 40kg of weights and have a 1.6m barbell to go. 

 

“How are we getting this back?” I ask Srinivaas.

 

 “On the bike. I’ll put the box (40kg) on the petrol tank in front of me and you can carry the barbell (1.6m long)” he replies.

 

I recalled the frazzled nerves and sunburnt head from the outward journey. Plus, we are now an hour later and in the middle of peak hour. The traffic will be even more chaotic. 

“No thanks” was my response.

“I’ll catch an auto back with all our purchases.”

 

An Auto To The Rescue

I don’t think Srinivaas could understand why I would spend all the money on an auto when I could go back on the bike.

 

I think the $5.25 cost for the auto was money very well spent!!!

 

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment